Sports Medicine Fellowship
Medical Education Department
Program Director: Ed Kornoelje, D.O.
Phone: (616) 252-7078
Email: [email protected]
The Sports Medicine Fellowship is a one-year program following completion of a family practice or other eligible
residency leading to eligibility for certification by the American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine. The
program is affiliated with the Statewide Campus System of Michigan State University, College of Osteopathic
Medicine. The program is also affiliated with the Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center for Health
Professions which coordinates the area's hospitals and their medical education activities.
Primary Care Sports Medicine (2 months) Exercise Physiology (1 month)
Orthopedics (2 months) Sports Nutrition (1month)
Musculoskeletal Radiology (1month) Occupational Medicine (1month)
Physical Medicine and Rehab (1month) Hand Surgery (1month)
Rehab/PT (1month) Elective (1month)
Metro Health Hospital supports Metro Health Sports Medicine, which continues to be a multifaceted entity with
physicians and therapists involved in high school, college, university, and professional team coverage, as well as
Special Olympics and community events. A new health and wellness center is being planned on the campus of the
Metro Health is very active in the Grand Rapids Community and has several relationships with sports teams at
• Professional - Griffins (AHL), Whitecaps (“A” baseball), Edge (PDL soccer).
• College/University - Calvin College (NCAA D-III), Aquinas College (NAIA D-II), GVSU
(NCAA D-II). We also work very closely with Cornerstone University (NAIA D-II).
• High School - Ottawa Hills HS, Central HS, Union HS, Hudsonville HS, Kellogsville HS, and
• Community Events - 5/3 River Bank Run (with Metro ER), Reed’s Lake Run and Triathlon,
Gus Macker and Walker 3 on 3 basketball, Metro Health Grand Rapids Marathon
• ANA Gymnastics
• Area 11 Special Olympics
The settings in which clinical activities occur include:
• Game coverage—provided at all Griffins and Edge games; selected Whitecaps games; Calvin
and Aquinas basketball games, playoffs and tournaments; multiple high school football games.
• On-site injury clinics-performed during games at the Griffins and Whitecaps games, weekly at
Calvin and Aquinas, and weekly/as needed at the high schools.
• Community events—multiple events are covered (runs, a marathon, a triathlon, basketball
tournaments, wrestling tournaments, a gymnastics tournament, and the Special Olympics
• Meetings/Education—Journal Clubs, monthly didactic sessions, training room recap,
community lectures, pre-race training sessions, resident lectures, student-trainer lectures.
• Pre-participation physical exams at multiple high schools.
Training occurs in two primary care office sites, and three orthopedic sites. Metro has faculty that are dually
boarded by in Family Practice and OMM, which provides many opportunities for additional training and integration
- Related pdf books
- 6. The copies that you send will not be returned. - Metro Health
- Cardiology Medicine Fellowship
- CAST CARE INSTRUCTIONS What's it made of? - Metro Health
- CR (HRP) 11 IRB Reciprocity and Authorization Agreements
- 2014 Metro Health Farm Market Guidelines of Operation
- Vegan Sloppy Jenna's Chef Grace’s Rocking Raw Tacos Ingredients
- 2013 Metro Health Farmers Market Application NEW & DAILY
- IRB Member Roster November 2012 Last Name First name ...
- HISTORY FORM #2 1
- Diabetes Education - Metro Health Hospital
- WORKSHEET: Informed Consent Review Worksheet - Metro Health
- GETTING STARTED HYPERSPACE LOGIN - Metro Health Hospital
- MICHIGAN Advance Directive Planning for Important Health Care ...
- Emergency Medicine Residency Program
- Week 6, Kale Chips - Metro Health
- Metro Health Hospital is proud to be the first hospital in ...
- Popular epubs
- Stehen Daquino, DO Asst Prof Family Medicine/ Sports Medicine ...
- Integrative Complementary and Alternative Medicine Fellowship
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship Programs
- Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship | Case School of Medicine & University Hospitals Case Medical Center
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Training Brochure
- The American Journal of Sports Medicine
- Department of Sports Medicine and Athletic Training Vol. 1, Issue ...
- IRVING ORTHOPEDICS & SPORTS MEDICINE - PHYSICAL THERAPY DEPARTMENT ...
- FOR SPORTS MEDICINE PATIENTS
- Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine, RCPI & RCSI Fellows ...
- There's more to health than medicine.
- Public Health in Texas